King Charles III’s brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, was arrested on Thursday, 19 February 2026, and later released while police continue their investigation.
Thames Valley Police held him in custody for questioning while officers searched properties linked to him. Police suspect an offence called misconduct in public office, which means someone trusted to work for the public may have seriously misused their position.
Investigators believe he may have shared confidential government and financial information with a convicted criminal.
In a public statement, King Charles said the law must take its course and promised full support and co-operation with the police. Being “released under investigation” means Andrew is not currently charged, but the case is still open. Police can ask to question him again if they decide more information is needed. Officers will also continue checking evidence gathered during the searches.
Later, prosecutors will need to decide whether there is enough evidence to bring a formal charge. Royal experts say this is a rare moment in modern times, because very senior royals are almost never arrested. Andrew has previously said he has done nothing wrong. The investigation is continuing, and no final decision has been announced yet.