Taupō has secured the top spot in this year’s Most Beautiful Cities and Towns Award, part of the Beautiful Awards recognizing communities for their environmental efforts.
The results were revealed at Parliament House, with Taupō winning the Supreme Towns and Cities Award.
The town stood out for its regular community cleanup events, sustainable transport initiatives, and the Kai Rescue Programme, addressing food waste. Taupō will be awarded a mural painted by a local artist valued up to $10,000.
Keep New Zealand Beautiful CEO Heather Saunderson praised Taupō for its climate-conscious initiatives, making it the clear winner of the Supreme Award.
Other notable winners include:
- Best Loo Award: Okere Falls Scenic Reserve in Rotorua.
- Most Beautiful Tiny Town: Awanui in the Far North, recognized for its revitalization program and community pride in heritage.
- Most Beautiful Large Town: Whakatāne, aiming to increase tree canopy cover by 20% over the next 20 years.
- Most Beautiful Large City: Tauranga, acknowledged for developing cycleways and walkways, extensive tree planting, and wetlands restoration.
- Most Beautiful Small City: New Plymouth, recognized for mass planting, a solar farm, and recycling initiatives.
- Most Beautiful Small City (Arrowtown): Arrowtown, awarded for increasing self-sufficiency and initiatives like Single Use Cup Free Arrowtown.
Numerous community, individual, and best place awards were also presented, highlighting New Zealanders’ passion for their towns and cities and the environment.