Doctors discovered a 10cm long parasite tapeworm that had been living in a man’s brain for 4 years!
The 50 year old British man visited his doctor in 2008 with headaches, memory loss, seizures and changed sense of smell.
After a confusing result from an MRI scan, the man was tested for several diseases and in 2012, doctors discovered the worm in his brain tissue.
The man was treated easily with medication and is now worm free! The worm was causing inflammation of brain tissue which was causing the man’s seizures, memory loss and headaches.
It is believed that people are infected by consuming crustaceans from lakes which are infected with the worms, eating raw reptile and amphibian meat or by using raw frog poultice (a Chinese remedy for sore eyes.)
The man is from China and often returns to his home country for a visit.
Article written by D Mulhern