A 4cm-long nematode roundworm has been discovered in a women’s tonsil.
The worm was thought to have come after the woman ate raw fish.
The woman had felt an unpleasant sensation at the back of the throat and thought that a cold was on the way.
But the cause of the pain was not a sniffle but a live worm that had lodged itself inside one of her tonsils.
Doctors at St Luke’s International hospital removed the long worm with tweezers.
The worm, which was 38mm long and 1mm wide, was still alive after being retrieved from the woman’s left tonsil.
The worm was identified as a nematode roundworm – one of several parasites that can infect people who eat raw fish or meat.