Primary teachers will go on strike this week.
The move comes after they decided to reject the latest Government pay offer worth $700 million over three years.
The strikes will be on at different times around the country, starting in Auckland at 7.30am on Monday with a street demonstration followed by mass meetings to consider the current situation. Strikes will continue with the rest of the North Island (except Wellington) on Tuesday, Christchurch on Wednesday, the rest of the South Island on Thursday, and Wellington on Friday.
The ministry made a new offer to teachers at the end of last week, but did not move on its earlier offer to raise pay scales by 3 per cent a year for three years.
The key elements of the new offer for teachers are:
• 3 per cent per year over a three year term (unchanged).
• No increase in classroom release time (unchanged).
• A new top pay step for teachers with degrees plus professional teaching qualifications from 2020.
• Removal of the qualifications cap on progression for teachers without degrees from 2020.
• A $500 lump sum for NZEI members only.