President of the United States, Barack Obama, has visited the country of Kenya for the first time since he became President in 2008.
Obama says he is in Kenya to help fight terrorism and raise issues about human rights across Africa.
Obama’s father was born in Kenya and he still has family that live there so it was a special visit for him. The people of Kenya are very proud of him and have watched his successes with great excitement.
People of the village where Obama’s father was born have named their children, schools and even stationary after him.
The Kenyan government has been preparing for this historic visit for weeks. Preparations have included planting trees, cleaning up streets and even the airport was closed for his arrival.
Some people believe that the government has spent too much on his welcome when the money could have been used elsewhere to help the poor country.
[tabs tab1=”RECALL QUESTIONS” tab2=”THINKING QUESTIONS” tab3=”DOCUMENTS”]
- Who is the main person or group of people in this news article?
- What was the key event from the news article?
- Where did this event take place?
- When did this event take place?
- In your own words describe what happened in this news article.
- Find out where this event took place and include some information about this place.
- Tell us when this event happened and explain what might happen in the future.
- Explain in your own words why this event took place.
- Use the Dictionary in the bottom right hand corner to find the meaning of 3 words from the article.