Man dies from eating too much licorice

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Google Classroom

A recent study has shown that a 54-year-old man died as a result of eating too much licorice.

The man, a construction worker from Massachusetts, lost consciousness inside a fast-food restaurant. He was taken to a hospital, where he died the next day.

Doctors wrote that he had “a poor diet, consisting primarily of several packages of candy daily,” and that three weeks before, he switched from eating fruit-flavored soft candy to licorice candy, which contained glycyrrhizic acid.

Glycyrrhizic acid, or glycyrrhizin, a sweetening compound derived from licorice root. It can cause a drop in potassium levels in the body, which in turn may cause high blood pressure, swelling, abnormal heart rhythms and even heart failure.

People 40 or older should be especially vigilant about their black licorice consumption. Even 60grams per day, over a two-week period, could cause irregular heart rhythm.

However, the scientists also said that negative effects of eating too much licorice are reversible, and stop when consumption is halted. A return to normal potassium levels may take one to two weeks, according to the study.

Luckily, there are safe alternatives. According to the NIH, many licorice products available in the US don’t actually contain licorice, but rather anise oil, which is comparable in flavor.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
85 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
smileydude1202
smileydude1202
1 year ago

sad

Last edited 1 year ago by smileydude1202
oscar
oscar
1 year ago

that’s so sad ?

Thomas
Thomas
1 year ago

Sad, Funny and Scary

surfallday
surfallday
1 year ago

sad

pop
pop
1 year ago

thats odd but why would he when licorce is so good and yumm!!!!!

jaffy
jaffy
1 year ago

wow

*UNKNOWN PERSON*
*UNKNOWN PERSON*
1 year ago

Wow, that’s ah…mmm

Cuban
Cuban
1 year ago

Wow

jordan
jordan
1 year ago

how many pieces of liquorice did he eat EXACTLY?????? This is just for scientific purposes so i dont end up dying from liqourice

donutkittie
donutkittie
1 year ago

thats so sad

goat
goat
1 year ago

licorice is digosting

mizery
mizery
1 year ago

this is so sad what if it was my grandad

Eva
Eva
1 year ago

I eat red licorice with chocolate in the middle but im 11 years old and i dont eat sevral packs a day,personaly i dont think red licorice can kill anyone

isaac
isaac
1 year ago

Sad but not surprising

Vrinda dummy
Vrinda dummy
1 year ago

thats sad but why would he eat so much?

cheezel
cheezel
1 year ago

it is sad and almost sounds impossible

ocean
ocean
1 year ago

that is just sad i love licorice

DuDe
DuDe
1 year ago

WoW!

saggy mahamud
saggy mahamud
1 year ago

i hate licorice?

nate
nate
1 year ago

licorice is digusting

Last edited 1 year ago by nate
u should read this
u should read this
1 year ago

wow

timtom
timtom
1 year ago

thats sad… but he must be pretty fat…

charlie
charlie
1 year ago

sad and scary

Epic_TyBoy
Epic_TyBoy
1 year ago

thats so sad, how old was he?

funny
funny
1 year ago

thats hilarious ????

cameron
cameron
1 year ago

that a lesson learnt never eat to much candy

person
person
1 year ago

thats so sad

weirdmanbob
weirdmanbob
1 year ago

i think this happened cause it must of had high sugar levels which can be very addicting

Awesome Soooce
Awesome Soooce
1 year ago

I mean my dad once told me that if i eat to much licorice i will die so i never get it. It’s really sad cause I love it so much

big mac
big mac
1 year ago

ok kids do not eat black licorice eat red licorice

miss.vanilla_venisse
miss.vanilla_venisse
1 year ago

i feel super bad?

IZZI
IZZI
1 year ago

THATS CRAZY

Isabella Mclaren
Isabella Mclaren
1 year ago
OMG
Jesse Bartlett
Jesse Bartlett
1 year ago

man i love licrous(?)

john
john
1 year ago

I don’t like licorice

oscar
oscar
1 year ago

R.I.P hope he had a good life ????

Licorice Mafia boss
Licorice Mafia boss
1 year ago

Don’t mess with the licorice

sean morgan van dyke
sean morgan van dyke
1 year ago

so my mommy say im not allowed to eat sweats

bibby
bibby
1 year ago

sad but how much peices EXATLY i need to know peps???!!!!!!!

Izzy
Izzy
1 year ago

So sad ? It just goes to show how lots of candy/licorice can affect you.

MonkeyGamer375
MonkeyGamer375
1 year ago

i dont like liquorice

wow
wow
1 year ago

sad and bad cause why would you eat that much

i am a car
i am a car
1 year ago

🙁 that’s sad

me, myself and I
me, myself and I
1 year ago

red liquorice isn’t even liquorice

james
james
1 year ago

so sad ?????

Cherry blossom cutie girl
Cherry blossom cutie girl
1 year ago

that poor man. this is why we should eat apples!

Jess
Jess
1 year ago

Yuck

Jess
Jess
1 year ago

That’s sad, but his problem. I’m sorry for those that new him. Anyway black licrice is gRoss.

Last edited 1 year ago by Jess
Olive Oil
Olive Oil
1 year ago

thats just sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

troy
troy
1 year ago

SAD

CHECK OUT THESE ARTICLES

CHECK OUT THESE ARTICLES

85
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x