The historic Christchurch clock tower has been restored back to its pre-earthquake glory, as it reveals the correct time for all visitors on Victoria Street. The clock was built in 1897 as a commemoration to mark the 60th year of Queen Victoria’s reign. However after the 2010 and 2011 Canterbury earthquakes, substantial reinforcement and reconstruction on the tower was needed, which was aided generously by a grant provided by The Lion Foundation.
The vast 214kg tower, had it’s time momentarily stopped on 12.51pm, which marked the time the second earthquake struck on February 22nd 2011. Now that the tower has finally been restored, all those walking past the tower on Victoria Street now have no excuse to be late!