Gastro bug in Hawkes Bay

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Share to Google Classroom

Over 2000 people in Havelock North have been struck down with gastric illness caused by bad water. The towns water supply was contaminated by a bug called campylobacter.
The council has added chlorine in their tap water to get rid of the bug. The water now smells like a swimming pool.
Twenty-two people are in hospital with gastric illness, and one remains in a critical condition.
Residents have been asked to boil the water before drinking it.
Dozens of Red Cross and Civil Defence officers were in Hawke’s Bay checking on residents affected by the outbreak.
They were offering emergency supplies such as food and toilet paper.
Symptoms of gastric illness include diarrhea and vomiting. Also you may get stomach pain, cramping, fever, nausea, and a headache.

12 Responses

  1. this is so crazy considering that i live in hastings witch is close to havelock north

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

There’s a new genius in town, and she’s only 2...
In a hair-raising tale from Uttar Pradesh, India, meet Smita...
In a bizarre incident in Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia,...
The Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards are back, and this year...

World & National News

New Transport Minister Simeon Brown has asked the New Zealand...
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 is zooming into production and will...
In a historic address at COP28, King Charles III has...
Christmas is just around the corner, and what better way...