The New Zealand Department of Conservation has turned 33 years old.
The Department officially started on1 April 1987, with the launch taking place at Antrim House in Wellington.
The Department of Conservation (DOC) is the public service department of New Zealand who look after the conservation of New Zealand’s natural and historical heritage.
DOC works with around 1000 of the 4000 or so community organisations that carry out conservation work on a voluntary basis around Aotearoa. We have over 800 partnerships and 26 percent of these involve tangata whenua.
DOC also administers the Nature Heritage Fund, and is responsible for rural fire control.
Every year they work with around 14,000 individual volunteers and deliver around 700 knowledge and skill sharing initiatives with communities.