The 2022 duck-shooting season has started with a bang.
The season officially started on Saturday the 7th May.
It is believed around 60,000 hunters took the opportunity to go out and make the most of the first weekend.
Early reports say that the first weekend was perfect weather for shooting with little wind and clear skies.
NZ Mountain Safety Council reminded hunters this week about the seven basic firearms safety rules:
- Treat every firearm as loaded
- Always point firearms in a safe direction
- Load a firearm only when ready to fire
- Identify your target beyond all doubt
- Check your firing zone
- Store firearms and ammunition safely
- Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms.