Read – 2013 Rugby Player of the Year
Kieran Read is the toast of New Zealand rugby after being named IRB 2013 Player of the Year.
Along with Read, Steve Hansen was named coach of the year for a second consecutive year, and the All Blacks have taken team of the year for a fourth straight year.
The IRB’s annual award winners were announced today following a superb year for the All Blacks, with 14 wins from 14 test matches to remain unbeaten in 2013.
The awards may not end here for Read as the New Zealand Rugby Awards are in Auckland on Thursday night.
Read has been nominated for the Kel Tremain player of the year Award, Hansen has been nominated for coach of the year and the All Blacks are up for team of the year.
Article written by Editor
We have three levels of questions ranging from ‘recall’ questions to ‘in-depth thinking’ activities for each article.
You can print out the article or save as a PDF using the links below.
1. Who is the main person or group of people in this news article?
2. What was the key event from the news article?
3. Where did this event take place?
4. When did this event take place?
5. Why did this event happen?
1. Find quote from the main person in this news article?
2. In your own words describe what happened in this news article.
3. Find out where this event took place and include some information about this place.
4. Tell us when this event happened and explain what might happen in the future.
5. Explain in your own words why this event took place.
6. Use the Dictionary in the bottom right hand corner to find the meaning of 3 words from the article.
Use the article above to answer the following questions. Print out the worksheet by clicking on the orange words and then complete your answers on the sheet.
Current Events Web
Find the Who, What, Where, When, How and Why in the article to complete this worksheet.
I Think Because
Share what you think about the article and explain why.
Write a question map about questions that you have after reading the article.
Give the news article you have read a review
Write what you KNOW about the topic in the article, what you would LIKE to find out and then what you have LEARNT.
Play newspaper bingo. Find a number of different articles to complete the grid.
Questions and Answers
Write a set of questions and then their answers after reading the article.
The Big Idea
Find the big idea by highlighting the 5 W’s and 1 H. then select 25 of key words associated with the article.
Vocabulary exercise where students find key words within the article.